Join JFSA as we kick off our 100 Day Campaign! See below for the schedule of events & RSVP HERE.
9:30am-Noon - Phonathon (Free)
Help us make the calls that enable the Jewish Federation of San Antonio to fulfill our mission of “Strengthening Jewish communities, here, everywhere, always.”
12:30-1:45pm - Brunch ($10 per person)
Kick-off Yom Limmud with a community brunch and speaker Michelle Rojas-Tal, Central Shlichah to Hillel International and Director of Israel Fellows who joins us as a guest of the Jewish Agency for Israel.
2-3- Mini Yom Limmud (Day of Study) Break-Outs (Free)
Join us as we bring back an old San Antonio tradition with Yom Limmud. Pick a topic that interests you:
- Teshuvah from Fear vs. Teshuvah from Love…Does our state of heart and mind affect the outcome of our teshuvah? – Rabbi Mara Nathan, Temple Beth-El
- By studying the rabbinic understanding of teshuvah, we will reflect on the intersection between our religious obligations and our modern lives. How can the process of Teshuvah strengthen our relationships with those we love and with the Holy One as we prepare for the High Holy Days?
- Repentance and Forgiveness in the Shtisel Family – Rabbi David Komerofksy, Temple Chai
- The hit Israeli TV show "Shtisel" is a vivid portrayal of an observant Jewish family in Jerusalem. Layers of depth and meaning are to be found beneath the stereotypical surface of the characters, and we will explore the theme of teshuvah that is at the heart of the family's relationships.
- The Origin and Impact of the Shofar – Rabbi Jeffrey Abraham, Agudas Achim
- Have you ever wondered why we sound the shofar as a wakeup call for us on High Holidays? Learn about the origins of the shofar and why it's not completely clear as to why this was chosen as the symbol for our High Holidays.
- King David and the Power of the Psalms – Rabbi Chaim Block, Chabad
- Journey into the life and trials of one of the most enigmatic figures in Jewish history. Discover why our people have turned to the Psalms for solace and strength throughout the ages.
- Community Memory and Personal Preservation – Amber Garcia & Julie Tzucker, HMMSA staff
- Exploring the Jewish legacy of both oral and written tradition, the Holocaust Memorial Museum works daily to create a new chapter of memory for San Antonians, both Jewish and non-Jewish. Join Museum staff to learn more about community memory and the ways in which you can preserve your legacy.
- The Power of One - Rabbi Aryeh Scheinberg, Rodfei Sholom
- Explore and discuss how the concept of "oneness" appears in Jewish liturgy and thought.
- A Multicultural Conversation About Women in Israel - Janan Faraj Falah, PhD & Marcy Paul, PhD (Partnership Western Galilee Representatives)
- Join our Western Galilee ambassadors in a dynamic conversation about women and status in Israel. Jana Faraj Falah, the first Druze woman in Israel to receive a PhD, is a senior lecturer at the Arab Academic College of Education in Haifa and a researcher at the University of Haifa. Marcy Paul received her PhD in Multicultural Women's and Gender Studies from Texas Women's University, her MA in Communication from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and her BA from the University of Wisconsin - Madison in Communication Arts.
- Teen Discussion 1:Jews & Comic Books - Hillel Representatives
- A look at modern comic books such as Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and Captain America and how they relate to Jewish culture and history. We will explore comic book characters and themes to learn how their portrayals have changed over time and how American Jews influenced this art form.
- Teen Discussion 2: Jewish Leadership: New & Improv'd - Hillel Representatives
- A Jewish perspective on leadership guiding teens to transition into leaders of their community. This session will be using the technique of applied improvisation (improv) as the core tool to work and fine tune leadership skills.
All Day- Kids Club
Need help with your children as you participate in all the 100 Day Kick-Off has to offer? Please let us know so we can help!
Childcare is available over three timeslots so you can drop in to each part of the day:
9:30 AM – 12:00 PM
12:00 PM – 1:45 PM
1:45 PM – 3:00 PM
If you will need child care, RSVP and select one ticket for Kids Club for each child, in addition to your brunch tickets and Yom Limmud RSVP's. On that ticket, please enter the child's name, age, and the time that child care is needed.
Terms & Conditions
By attending this event, I hereby consent to the photographing of myself, or my minor child, and the use of such photographs singularly or in conjunction with other photographs by the Jewish Federation of San Antonio for its non-profit purposes.I understand that, as used herein, the term photographs includes video images.
I can opt out by speaking to a JFSA staff person at 210.302.6960